Thursday, July 12, 2007

Week 7 Thing 17 Wikis

I played in the sandbox today and uncovered lots of great ideas for how to use the "things" we've learned in different curricular areas. One idea shared was to make trading cards for the staff by having students interview them. As a former 8th grade history teacher, trading cards on Civil War Generals or battles would enhance the regular study. In 7th grade history, you could do inventions from ancient China or figures from the Renaissance.

I haven't started the lessons on podcasts yet but I think having students do podcasts of book talks would be something I'd like to try. I'd like to work with the staff about recording their lectures and then podcasting them for students who missed the lecture or may need to hear it several times to learn it. I'd also like to use Flickr to make read posters of our staff and different athletic teams. I saw the idea at the CSLA conference using the athletic teams and their favorite books and I thought it was a great idea. So I plan to try it too.

I plan to share with my staff the ideas used on sample school wiki about how a class scribe takes notes and then posts them on the scribe page, students blog their opinions and reactions, and teachers create wikis for projects, discussion and other student interaction around classroom topics.

No comments: