Thursday, July 14, 2011

Digital Citizenship Module 4-What Tools Support Digital Citizenship?

Discovery Exercises:
1. Go to the wiki’s Resources pages. Choose one of the tools listed, and learn about it; think “play.” You might want to choose a tool you’ve heard about, or by its stated function. Make notes as you explore the tool; think about these points:
What is the function of the tool? I selected Twitter. Twitter is a social networking site and a mini blogging site.
How easy is it to install and navigate? I had an account already. It was free. It's Web 2.0. It was easy to join, install, to find others to follow based on interests.
What are its technical features and requirements (e.g., plug-ins, RAM, file transfer, peripherals)?
How easy is it to learn the basics, and use it? It was very easy to learn how to use. I joined about 4 years ago when I was attending a CSLA conference. I tweeted twice. I mainly follow other librarians. My favorites so far, because I learn so much from them, are The Daring Librarian and Joyce Valenza. I didn't have a smart phone when I joined Twitter. Now I do and I've added a Twitter app on my phone. I've watched some of the Common Craft tutorials on how to use Twitter. I'm not quite sure what I have to share yet on Twitter but I plan to begin. I might start by forwarding tweets to my fellow librarians. I'm thinking of getting the librarians in my district who have smart phones to learn to Twitter so we can publicize what we are doing in our libraries. My question is "Should one have a twitter account for professional work and a separate one for private twitters?" I will investigate this some more and discuss this with the librarians in my district who are interested in using Twitter.
What are its essential and special digital literacy/communication features (e.g., image, sound, interactivity, information manipulation)?
I believe to use Twitter effectively you need to know communication features such as hashtags. You need to know how to use bitly to shorten your URLs if you want to share websites or articles.
How would you teach it – and its use? NOTE that at the end of that section there are several tutorials listed; you may want to look at those as you explore your chosen tool (Commoncraft is great! -- and would be a fun way to get students to create a tutorial). Eventhough I am sure students tweet a lot, our school district does not allow students to use social networks unless they use School Loop during school hours. The district does use Facebook and Twitter to get its message out to the public however. I have a Facebook page for my library and I would like to start having people follow our library on Twitter. The tutorials and articles I read about Twitter did say that one should tweet often to keep followers. I have to think this out. Do I have that much to tweet about in regards to the library. I post a weekly e-newsletter so I could tweet some of the information throughout the week. Possibilities!

2. As you work with the tool, think about how it might be used to foster digital citizenship. For instance, Audacity is a good tool for creating podcasts, which can be used to communicate about content or promote a social cause. I think Twitter would be very useful for fostering digital citizenship. You could send out links to articles, YouTube clips, websites, and podcasts that cover your social cause. You could rally people to write letters, send e-mails or attend a meeting in support of your cause. You could keep a group of people who support a social cause connected and informed through tweets. Perhaps you could get famous people interested in your cause and get their support as well.

3. Match the tool with content standards, including library standards. Brainstorm how you can incorporate the tool into a lesson or learning activity that facilitate or supports digital citizenship. Blog your ideas.
English Language Arts Standards 8th Grade
Analysis and Evaluation of Oral and Media Communications
1.8 Evaluate the credibility of a speaker (e.g., hidden agendas, slanted or biased material).

Library Standards 7th and 8th Grade
2.2 Assess comprehensiveness, currency, credibility, authority, and accuracy of resources:
a. Evaluate credibility, comprehensiveness and usefulness of print, nonprint, and digital information sources.
b. Analyze differences among various categories of informational materials (e.g., textbooks, newspapers, magazines, atlases, online resources) in terms of their structure and purpose.
c. Evaluate the authority of authors, Web site hosts, and/or sponsoring organizations of Web sites and print material.
d. Assess currency and timeliness as a part of Web site and other media evaluation.
e. Identify and assess evidence that supports ideas and concepts presented in audio and visual media.

I participated in a Google webinar on using the left-hand tool bar. After participating, I became aware of resources such as blogs and forums on the Internet as potential places to find information. It would be important for students to learn how to evaluate credibility and authority when using any site on the web for information. Using a social network would also lend itself well to lessons on cybersafety and netiquette for students.

No comments: